damla Forum Index

damla

damla

PortalPortal  blogBlog  AlbumAlbum  UsergroupsUsergroups  MemberlistMemberlist  GBGuestbook  User PanelUser Panel  RegisterRegister 
 FlashChatFlashChat  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  StatisticsStatistics  LinksLinks  Log inLog in 
 CalendarCalendar  DownloadsDownloads  Comments to your karmaComments to your karma  ToplistToplist  Recent topicsRecent topics  Voting forumVoting forum

worth noting that these numbers
Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

View previous topicEmail to a Friend.Users who have viewed this topicSave this topic as a txt filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
Labi1995

Appassionato
Appassionato

Iscritti

italy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 07:10:52    Post subject:  worth noting that these numbers
Description:

This piece confirms my own experience. As both an above and below average distance runner (84min half marathon PB to 4:45 marathon on occasion), I have experienced major differences in running style. If you run 4:20 min/km (roughly 3h marathon), you definitely run more on the front of your feet than when you are plodding along at 7 min/km. For a jogger running on the front of
your feet are simply biomechanically incorrect.
As a South African, your comments on odd running form of elite runners made me think of two excellent examples:Vladimir Kotov, with his toe-up shuffle and almost no knee bending (it seems), is famous for his extremely long competitive career. He came fourth in the 1980 Olympic marathon and still won the 90km Comrades marathon three times (one record) in the early 2000s. In 2010 he still made 13th place at age 52! (See Wikipedia).Matthews “Loop-en-Val” Motshwarateu’s nick name literally means “Run-and-Fall”. He was a South African champion and record holder in long distance track and cross country and was dominant in the same events in the US on a scholarship at UTEP. His success included the 10km world record in New York in 1980.A great post as always and I look forward to reading
the entire book. Your make great points. I would only add one — even elite runners who are said to have admirable form get injured. I often read message board threads in which well-meaning runners suggest we should run like Kenesia Bekele, Haile Gebrselassie, Ryan Hall, etc., suggesting that if we do then we won’t get injured. What gets missed is that Bekele sat out the 2010 season with various injuries; Gebrselassie has had knee problems (often assumed to be the province of heel-strikers) late in
his career, causing him to drop out of NYC Marathon in 2010; and Ryan Hall has had a widely-publicized battle with plantar faciitis recently. Though all of these runners have either returned from their injuries or weren’t entirely sidelined from them (Hall), others, like Martin Lel, have pretty much fallen off of the map because
of their ailments. Modeling our form after that of elite runners may sometimes be worthwhile, and in some cases even reduce the chance of certain injures, but if you run hard enough and long enough, you will probably eventually get injured.Matt Powell of SportsOneSource sent out his quarterly update on running shoe sales last week (add him on LinkedIn if you’d like to receive his report, or follow him on Twitter). I asked Matt if I could share his data on running sales and he kindly obliged. His report
indicates that the lightweight running category (shoes under 10oz in weight) continues to cannibalize traditional running shoe market share. Minimalist remains small, though if you include the Nike Free it makes up 12% of the market. It’s worth noting that these numbers are from Sporting Goods, Athletic Footwear, and Running/Outdoor
Specialty Retailers, so many of the shoes sold are likely not used for running.“Running sales declined in the low singles in Q1 on the weak April. While Lightweight Running (25% of all Running) grew about 20%, it was more than offset by losses in Stability (-25%) Motion Control (down mid singles) and Cushioning (down high singles). Lightweight Running doubled in the Family channel. Nike Lightweight grew in the mid singles and has 42% share. Reebok (39% share) leaped more than 40%, but average
selling price declined about -15%. Adidas Lightweight grew about 20% with Asics up in the high singles.Sales of Minimalist/barefoot more than doubled on the quarter and reached 12% of all Running sales. However, Nike has a 65% share in Minimalist, all on the Free platform. When we back Free out, Minimalist Running is about 4% of all
Running shoes sold, about what it represented in 2011. Barefoot/Minimalist still appears at best to be niche business.
Adv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 07:10:52    Post subject: Adv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    damla Forum Index -> Forum di prova All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: